samedi 24 mai 2008

Shanghai

As promised, here are some comments and pictures about my stay in Shanghai, the most non-Chinese city of China.

During my stay, I was hosted by Aymeric and Celine two friends of my years in Centrale who are working in Shanghai. Enjoying the expatriated way of life, with their help, the shock between Japan and China was reduced and I was able to survive... Thank you !

No, I wasn't hosted by a giant bottle

Shanghai is a mix between high buildings and poor districts, huge streets and small paths. You can walk 50m and have a vision of wealth and poverty. Such contrasts exist in most big cities but it's the first time that they are so clear.

They built the Tintin's moon rocket. Proof !

Poorer districts

Once again, Pudong skyline

Sometimes they mix everything

I also seized this occasion to visit a Chinese museum in Shanghai to learn more about the history of arts in Shanghai. It's easily summarized. Thousands years ago, the Chinese culture was magnificent. This lasted until the colonialism of the 18th century. Starting from this era, because of western invaders (British, French...) or communism, the Chinese arts became very poor. I base this assumption in the real vacuum observed in art products for this era. Astonishing compared to the richness of the old Chinese cultures !

The origin of Kanjis

A magnificent... 'bottle' of wine in copper

It was also the occasion to behave like good expatriated living in a country with cheap living costs, and to enjoy activities that I would never dare to in France...

Ritz, Hyatt... I don't remember but it certainly was tasty

Along with quite a correct view

Classy ?!

Heaven's door

Finally, I also visited a Chinese garden. And their trip is to have strange stones with holes all over. I don't know why but it's like that (according to the French guide I met during my visit).

Beautiful ?!

Shanghai will also be the host of the next Universal Exposition. As a consequence, there is construction yard everywhere ! I don't remember the accurate numbers but in 4 years they have built more than 5 subway lines. That gives you an idea of the change pace of this city.

The flying worker... a consequence of such a high pace

But I am not a professional guide, so I will stop with this crap. Shanghai is I think one of the most enjoyable Chinese city in that it's really westernized, and... there is a Burger King ! And one of the big discovery of this stay... the Norean bath ! It's some kind of a huge bath complex (the same for Aquaboulevard and a simple pool) where you can bath, do ping-pong (ok it is still the same as onsen..), have massages, sleep, have your hair cut, eat... it's endless ! Something really worth trying !

B-B-B-B-Burger King !!!!!

Korean bath...

I certainly forgot some nice pictures... fortunately ! If not, I would have nothing to tell you at my return ;)

8 commentaires:

Swoosh a dit…

It seems that was a nice start! And you finally found this Burger King ^^
I love the pictures, especially the heaven's door and the flying workers, and I love your crazy sunset in Cambodia! (was it Cambodia?)
By the way, are your friends brothers and sisters? (they really look like each other)
And when are they going to fire Tintin's rocket?

Tony a dit…

lol...
No, lovers ! But it's true they do look alike, even if I promise you they are quite different.
For Tintin's rocket I was told that for the Olympics...

Elia a dit…

I like the flying workers!
Nice start, as felix said. Next...?
Just a comment : you wrote "Shanghai, the most non-Chinese city of China.", but ... what about Hong Kong? More generally, what is the main characteristic of modernchinese cities nowadays? It's a real question, because I only went to Hong Kong, but I would like to know for the other cities! Give us your knowledge!! ;)

Swoosh a dit…

Well, HongKong isn't Chinese anymore, I guess that's why. :)

Tony a dit…

It's just that I hadn't been to Hong-Kong so I had forgotten about it...
Concerning your question, I think I wrote that because in Shanghai there are some places where everything is clean, and well-organized. And this didn't match the image I had of China as I didn't think it was so advanced...
So after thinking about your question, I realized that I couldn't really make the difference between Chinese, Japanese or Thai cities except with the technological level differences.
If I have new thoughts about this...

Unknown a dit…

Quelle belle coupe de cheveux tony !!

Tony a dit…

C'etait une dedicace pour toi Putch en l'honneur d'un glorieux passe revolu !
Au debut ils etaient tellement courts qu'on voyait meme le reflet de la lumiere sur mon crane...

Rafi a dit…

""where you can bath, do ping-pong (ok it is still the same as onsen..), have massages""
Là je sens une petite dédicace à notre fameux voyage avec Rain à Kinugawa... ;-) lol

Sinon, bon choix pour le Hyatt de Shanghai (la vue à mi-hauteur magnifique sur les suites disposées de manière cylindrique depuis le bar avec des cocktails à 7€ lol), on partage la même photo maintenant !